Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Don't Go Down To The River

~


~

"Big Muddy"
"Dark River"
"The Mighty MO"
"The Wide Missouri"

The river winds its way, twisting and turning,
dividing one state from another, cutting the city into North & South.
It is spanned by bridges carrying traffic into and out of the downtown,
the drivers never giving thought to the homeless
lodged below in the recesses of the structures.
Both sides of the river are "homes" to the homeless
in makeshift shelters hidden beneath the trees
or dug into the bluffs near the industrial sites and freight rails.

When I first came to Kansas City, that's where I gravitated
along with so many others.
But, I couldn't make it there.  It was not for me.
I left the river and climbed the hills
into the main part of the downtown section
where tall buildings took the place of trees,
and reached to the skies,
making litter-filled canyons of cold cement
and glass and steel.

~

I stay away from the river--
It frightens me.
It makes me look into myself
and ponder things
I like to keep subdued.
The river is silent and deep,
muddy, swift, and murky,
with undercurrant strong,
too strong, way too strong.
It is alive!
When it gets you in its grasp,
it never lets you go.
When I stand before the river
on its muddy, sandy banks,
I am not inspired to thoughts sublime,
like I once was
by the clear mountain streams
of The Rockies.
The Might MO says to me,
"When you are tired,
when you can stand it no more,
I am here.
One step into my strong caress
and I will carry you away
in my mighty currents
from your problems, forever."
It is a thought I keep tamped down,
hidden from my consciousness,
if I stay away
from the river.

~

Photo:
Missouri River and at the confluence of the Kaw River,
Industrial river bottom of Kansas City
taken from Case Park overlook

1 comment: